It never fails. Things start going well for you, or you get excited about something, and people start finding all the reasons why you are an idiot. They make sure they tell you why it won't work, why you have no clue what you're getting into, and why you will not make your dreams come true. Have you ever had a friend or even a family member do this to you? Aren't your friends and family supposed to encourage you and support you?
Sadly, you are going to run into a lot of people like this. Naysayers, dream stealers, whatever you want to call them. You need to learn to ignore them. It's not that they aren't nice people. It's just that they are stuck in a rut and they don't want to lose you! It's true. People want to be around people that are just like them. So if your friend is working a 9 to 5 job, 40 hours a week, they want you to be stuck in the same boat as they are! If you have a dream or ambition to change it so you can work 20 hours a week, and work from home, they will stop at NOTHING to tear you down. It's just human behavior. So how do you deal with it?
5 Ways to Deal With Negative People
1. Don't engage with them! It's simple, these people usually tend to harp on bad things and ignore anything positive. They will exaggerate any issue, the bad weather, or the losing sports team. So don't get sucked into their level, or their negative conversation. Realize, they will likely not be moving anywhere better any time soon, and you are! They will want to take you down to their level. Just walk away…
2. Surround them with positive people. If you want to give it a shot and help them out, get a group together of positive people, and watch magic unfold. As they start being negative, the positive people surrounding them will drown them out, and they will be left with two options: a) walk away b) start being positive! Works like a champ!
3. Realize it doesn't matter what they think. Hey listen, it doesn't matter if people don't believe in YOUR dream. After all, it's YOUR dream, not their dream. Chances are they likely have no interest in your dream to begin with. If they thought it was a good idea, or they thought it was awesome, it might be their dream.
4. Be positive, be a leader. The best way to deal with negative people, is to stay positive and lead by example. Listen, and then continue to be positive. Walk away, stay positive, create your dream, take action, make it a reality, and be a leader. This is a key way to deal with negative people. Once you succeed, invite them out for lunch and watch them become your biggest fan.
5. Don't take it personally. Learn to love the negative. What? Seriously, if you want to change your business, you have to realize that a negative person just means you can move on to the next person! They clearly have some issues, and you can move on to find people that really need your help!
Dealing with negative people can be awkward at first, but once you get used to it, you will realize that for every negative person, there are many more positive people! The best way to get new prospects into your business is to get the “no”‘s and move on as fast as possible!